Thursday, April 9, 2009

Why My Semester Kinda Sucked

It started at the very beginning of the term when I went to pick up my OSAP. I was informed that I could not pick up my loan because I had not previously arranged my fees. So I went down to student accounts to arrange my fees, but I was told that it would take a few days for the form to be processed, and that they could not guarantee that the information would go through in time, but that it should be done by the next afternoon. I returned the next day to once again attempt to pick up my loan, but my the computer still said my fees were not arranged. To make matters worse, I was at risk of not receiving any OSAP at all because I was taking one of my three classes at the University of Guelph, and it did not show up on my Waterloo record. I quickly added the third BB class to correct this. I once again went to pick up my loan, but my fees were still not arranged. Since the due date had already passes, that meant I would have to petition to be allowed to register late. Luckily, there was a lovely lady working in student accounts who took pity on me and decided to override the petition requirement. Since I live in Guelph and only needed to be on campus once a week, resolving all these issues took some time. Both UW and U of G were beginning to put late charges on my account because I hadn't made payment. When courses and fee arrangements were all taken care of, I finally was able to get my loan. But when I went to get the paperwork, I was informed that, if I picked up my OSAP, I would be put on academic probation. This was very upsetting and confusing as I could not think of anything I had done wrong. They told me that I had not passed all my courses for the previous term, which is what had triggered the probation. I tried to explain that I had gotten an extension on a paper, and I hadn't handed it in yet, and asked if it would all be straightened out once the paper and the mark were submitted. They said that regardless of that, it would remain on my transcript. If that wasn't enough, U of G was trying to charge me $900 for the one class I was taking there, as there medical and dental coverage are mandatory. As icing on the cake, my grades were not great either. I got a 57% on a mid-term, and a 66% on a take home test. This was especially bad news because at that point I was a few percentage points away from being allowed back into honours English Lit. Eventually, I got the paper in and I got an 84% in the class. I was able to get out of the medical and dental coverage at Guelph, bringing the cost of the class down to almost reasonable. I paid my fees, and I even began to do get better grades. I still have not resolved the academic probation issue, but its in the works. This has been one of the toughest term I've come up against in my 4 years at university, but luckily most of that is behind me. Here's hoping it doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment