Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Support of the Church?

First, let me say that I love my church family and cannot thank them enough for all the help, support and love they have given me throughout my life. I have learned so much and made many good friends through church and its connections, for which I am eternally grateful. Many of my beliefs and values are a direct result of my associations with the church. I would not be who I am today without it, and probably would not be headed to Ecuador to volunteer for the summer.
When I was accepted into Beyond Borders and learned I would need to fundraise as a part of the program, I was not concerned in the least. I have gone on 3 mission trips, two of which were in the Dominican Republic, and had no difficulty coming up with the money. I held spaghetti dinners, breakfasts, baked for a jazz night, sent support letters, and helped with a bizarre. There was never any worry or panic; the money just came in without any trouble.
I assumed the same would be true this time around. I spoke with my pastor to ask him if I could make an announcement to the congregation and hold some fundraising event, and although he agreed, he was vague and would not give me definite dates. I continued to ask him for a month or two without success. Eventually I learned that I had to speak to a different pastor about the matter, and the other pastor told me I needed to go before the church board in order to have fundraising approved. I made a request to a certain committee to be given funds from a specific missions fund, and I was informed that, since Beyond Borders is not officially connected to a church organization, they were not able to give me anything.
I do understand that there are many organizations that request for funds from the church and missions committee, and that it isn't realistic to give money to all of them. But I was upset by this response because I have been attending my church since I was born. I have taught Sunday school, helped with the youth group, been on worship teams and committees, and volunteered at organizations connected to the church, such as leading for week-long sessions at my summer camp. But yet, after all this, they can't support me in something like this. Though it is not officially a 'mission trip', its purpose does line up with God's mandate to love your neighbour, and to care for the widows and orphans. It is almost hurtful that they would not wish to stand behind me and support me in a program like this.
I went before the board a few nights ago, and my request to fundraise was granted. However, it was a bit late in coming as I already completed my fundraising. I do plan to hold an event when I get back to share my experience for whoever wants to listen, during which I will take up a freewill offering that I will donate to next year's program.

1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    I`m so happy to hear that even after you had a struggle to get funding from your church you are still willing to hold a fundraiser in order to help next years group, this is very kind of you. May you be blessed for your efforts :)

    ReplyDelete