Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Good . . . And The Bad

I need to preface this entry by saying that I am very much looking forward to my summer in Ecuador. I cannot wait to see what life is like in another country, to spend time in a culture totally unfamiliar to me, to make connections with new people, and begin to learn the language. I have loved getting to know the others in the program, and know this is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. Things are starting to come together for me, and in two and a half months I will be on my way.
However, I am starting to learn about things I will be missing while I'm away. Two of my coworkers, two of my friends, and two of my cousins will be having babies between April and September. I know I will be able to meet their newborns when I get back, but somehow it's just not the same. Another friend is getting married, and I will be missing out on the road trip to New York to see it. I am missing mother's day, father's day, my mother's 56th birthday, my grandfather's 89th birthday, and probably a few more birthdays and other special occasions. Though I may be able to spend one week at camp when I get back, it isn't the same as other summers where I spent many weeks there and was able to visit a few times throughout the season. And I will also be missing out on the three best months of weather that we will have all year here in Canada.
Like I said, I know it will be worth the trade-off. But it's hard not to think about the things I will miss while I'm gone.

1 comment:

  1. You will love Ecuador because is such a diverse and peaceful country. The weather and the people are just fantastic. I would recommend you to visit the Highlands, the Jungle Forest, the Beaches and the Galapagos Islands of course.

    Zuri

    ReplyDelete